Soaps are supposed to cleanse your skin and get rid of any germs resting on the surface. There are germs everywhere, after all! You would think that a product made to get rid of germs would be good for you, right? Well unfortunately, this is not usually the case. Most soap products you buy at the store contain toxic soap ingredients. When you're looking to purchase soaps for your face or body, make sure to avoid all of the following ingredients:
- Triclosan - This is essentially a pesticide that has antibacterial properties which help cleanse your skin. Triclosan contributes to antibiotic resistance, which makes bacteria more difficult to kill. After using products with triclosan on a regular basis, it becomes more likely that bacteria will become unaffected by its antibacterial properties. Antibiotic resistance has become a global issue, and using products with it only contribute to the problem.
- Dioxane - This is a synthetic coconut derivative. It may sound harmless, but this ingredient is a carcinogen and is toxic to the brain and liver. It is also irritating to the eyes and throat.
- Formaldehyde - This ingredient may seem like a no-brainer, however it is actually used in an alarmingly large number of brand name soaps. It weakens the immune system, leaving you vulnerable to bacteria and disease.
- Parabens - Parabens enter the bloodstream once on the skin, and then the body mistakes them for estrogen. This ingredient can cause the body to gain weight, and can cause reproductive issues in women. It is a hormone disruptor, and should be avoided at all costs. It is found in most name brand soaps as well as other skin care products and lotions.
- Sulfates - Sulfates are used to cause extra lather and bubbles in soaps. They strip the skin of its natural oils, and can irritate the skin by drying it out. This ingredient is especially irritating to skin affected by Eczema.
These toxic soap ingredients should be avoided. Make sure to read the product labels of all soaps you purchase. Instead of buying soap from the store, buy Certified Organic Soaps from Vi-Tae and feel good about the ingredients you put on your skin!